Avatar

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Reflect This (Currahee)

I have recently returned from an experience that I am glad I decided to do. I got to meet up with some of the guys that were, as I was, forever changed by the often un-thought of exposure to war. I now know that am not alone with my thoughts and reflections. Often times it difficult to fathom just what we did during the "Battle of Ramadi." The thought that scares me most: seeing one of these brothers in arms giving up when he has already been through so much. As of right now though most all of the "Outlaws" are either still doing what they do across the ocean or are pursuing some type of professional degree in college. Individual memories were shared and new ones were made. Embracing was a must because the fear of never knowing when we will meet again is always in the back of our heads. These are men that I have a bond with; a bond like any other; a bond that will never be matched. We saw death together and in a way played God together. I can easily recall one memory of each and every man I served with; I have taken a part of all of them with me and am happily satisfied with the camaraderie obtained and the person I have become through the means of bonding on a level with people that not all get to experience. Other than my wife I feel that these are the only people in the world that have the RIGHT to hold me accountable for anything. We became and will always be our own individually specific band of brothers no matter where we are in life. Many became one by doing something bigger than themselves. CURRAHEE! 

1 comment:

  1. The bonds that you all have made are priceless and awesome. These bonds are precious gifts born from not the most ideal situation, this gift ties you to them and them to you. In a world where most people fear to be alone, you will never have to...you have these men who can relate to things you are feeling when no one else can even start to understand. I am so grateful to you and them for the sacrifices you all have made and continue to make. You all are heroes in my book whether you believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete