Avatar

Monday, November 29, 2010

Reflect This

THANKSGIVING WEEKEND

     Attempting to think of where to begin about this past, experience filled weekend is like playing one of those claw machines that are often found in Wal-Marts and laundry-mats; its tough deciding which fluffy goofy looking animal or flashy expensive looking watch is worthy of 50 cents, and in my case which experience is worthy enough to be a beginning. So I have decided to begin with... well the beginning. It would humor me to see my mother-in-law not hold her tongue as much as she says she does, however, when the experience presents itself the comments are often very down to earth, blunt, and hilarious; we learned that some people enjoy having candles, 10 to 20 seems to be the understood preference, lit and warming the dining environment because it simply feels like there is fire around. Um... that's because there is! I love my down to earth, matter of fact, clever, sometimes unknowingly funny mother-in-law; As my wife would say "She makes my heart smile."

  My wife and I decided to visit with a friend of mine from high school whom I have not seen since I left for the military, 11MAR2004 (funny I'll never forget the day that changed my life, but that's another story). It was really fun to catch up with someone that has shared a part of my past. I love knowing what people from my past are doing these days. I am often fascinated with running my hamster wheel of a brain towards thoughts of who has turned into the have, the have nots, and more commonly found the have not changed one single bit. Its hilarious how many people from the area where I graduated high school say the same thing when asked whats  new: "Oh you know... its East Tennessee, not much happening round here... I got a kid now (that seems to be the thing to do when a female resident of E. TN is tired of being a stripper)." Yeah, I know, and I know that's why I will never be moving back to the other side of the state; I like change, I like exciting, I like experiencing, living, and learning life way too much to be consumed with a smaller town life. The small town life is enjoyable, but just not for me. I can find satisfaction just outside the city limits, or the general publicly accepted center of town. Anyways the friend I visited did have a rather interesting story. I learned that sometimes females too can become addicted to video games... for 4 to 5 months. Its good to know that there are other people out there willing to put forth the effort to be a "Rock Band" legend or a true "Guitar Hero". Drum away girl, and the next time we meet we will run up the high score of every song on that game. Learned my wife is a pretty darn good singer too; 95 to 100 percent accuracy was commonly shown on her score card. Good job babe, and way to growl it out on that heavy metal genre; there may be a hidden freak inside you ; )
     
     I got to spend some time with my nephew. I learned I love that little guy a whole lot. He is quite the character and I am very interested in being involved in his life and watching him grow up. Thinking about my brother here a bit and how I wish he could see that a simple small change would make the world of difference. Without a change, the same results will continue to follow. Love you brother and I hope you are getting your stuff together in there.

     Somehow, and I can't remember how, I talked my wife into checking out every NFL stadium; this year the experience took place in Atlanta Georgia. Wow, is all I can really say. What do you call two white Packer fans in a post-game tailgate party in the dirty south underground predominantly filled with black Falcon fans? One would think dead meat (would say not literally but it was Atlanta), or the laughing stock, however, somehow we were like the token white guys (definitely not literal) that everyone wanted to hangout with. The experience was grand to say the least; great food, good beer, and awesome company. Hell, we even met a couple that will be passing by around Christmas time that would like to get together again for a night on the town of Nashville. That's whats up!!! I learned that even in the mists of being surrounded by what most would call at first glance Falcon thugs, or hoodlums, speakers pumping bass so hard the heart could have possibly skipped a beat, and being the only white couple that just so happen to be Packer fans on a day the Falcons beat the Packers my wife and I still decided to show off our dancing skills. The experience was worth it; from that point on there was not a single moment when I was not in conversation with someone. Thanks Atlanta for the experience. I learned peoples superficial appearance deserves a chance. For if a chance is not given, an experience may be wasted.

     To conclude... since it is Thanksgiving I shall state what it is I am thankful for. I thankful for the way my life is, and all those that are involved. Every person I have met has in some way, shape, or form helped mold me into the man I am today. It has been a life learning experience of mine to consciously take something from every individual I meet and apply what I have learned from the experience to my life. Sometimes this is something simple, and sometimes the applied is life changing. Either way there is something to learn from every social encounter. I am thankful for all my brothers, friends, and family. I learned that my wife is beginning to apply some of my beliefs to her life, and I think that she is enjoying the experience and that makes my heart smile; she deserves so much more than this imperfect world and I can only try to help her enjoy her life experiences. My wife is very special to me for many reasons, but one above many is the fact that she has experienced so much of life with me; "not in front or behind, but side by side". (lol... I feel like something manly needs to be inserted here. So, remember I just got back from a football game... yeah! CAUSE I'M A MAN!!!! )

No comments:

Post a Comment