Avatar

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thing #6

     I looked into Pandora Radio because I enjoy music; it can take a person out of one mood and put them into another. This Web 2.0 award nominee is of no surprise to be found on the hot topic list. Radio that the user can control... to an extent. The user can decide on the genre of the music by either typing in an artist or song which in return cues the Pandora to create and play one's music of that same genre. The site offers an upgrade that allows one's music listening to be completely uninterrupted by the annoying commercials. The upgrade is called Pandora One, and it only takes 36 dollars a year from the bank account; that is three CD's. Another downside of Pandora is the ability to only skip so many songs in a given amount time (6 songs in 1 hour), but this is something that can easily be avoided by creating multiple stations of the same genre. Other than the commercials and inability to skip more than six worthless songs in an hour, Pandora Radio is right on.
     After one creates a station a song can be liked or disliked. If liked the song will randomly be looped back through the play-list. If the song is given the thumbs down... well, annoying sounds will forever be silent inside the creators speakers. Pandora Radio is also linked with sites such as facebook and twitter which allows a larger social network. Songs that are liked by ones friends on facebook will be shown on the station creators home screen when viewing Pandora's website. This feature is neat because it shows one who like who, and sometimes he/she may be surprised (because of this feature I am no longer a NKOTB fan). The other idea that Pandora Radio has capitalized on is opening up people to new experiences. Because of Pandora I have come to find some great new artist that I would have never heard of. The radio is always playing songs I know, songs I don't know and get the thumbs down, and songs that intrigue me and make me take on a new interest. Pandora Radio has broadened my horizons. Pandora Radio is the way to go. Go create a station sit back, relax, and enjoy some life... compliments of the concept Web 2.0.

2 comments:

  1. If you hadn't introduced me to Pandora I would still be listening to some "popular" only songs and/or not be listening to anything at work. Pandora is awesome and I love creating stations...my favorite (probably not to your surprise) is my Disney/Show Tunes station. It makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pandora Radio is the best. I have the application on my Blackberry and it is a cheap way of not having to by an ipod to put your favorite music on. I will see about creating Educational Radio!

    ReplyDelete