Avatar

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Thing # 19

Social Networking Beyond Facebook and Myspace
     Does Myspace and Facebook rule social networking??? Yes, but there are many other options out there and if one cannot find a social network that he/she likes than he/she may create his/her own social networking site with specifications built only to his/her standards. Social networking has become just as important as going to work and providing a living for some, and others do not do it at all. The truth is the world is moving to a form of socialization which is almost entirelyy online, and learning how to navigate through the online jungle is a huge benefit to any member of society... especially a teacher; which is why I am a member of the pre-service and in-service social networking site TeacherPop which is a place where teachers can collaborate and share ideas.

                                                       got teacherpop?
(The S on my chest)
    
     I am already a member of a couple social networking sites; myspace, facebook, teacherpop, and pretty soon maybe the site Gather. I feel that I may already be stretching the social networking a bit; sometimes I feel that I have no more time in a day to socialize on any other site without giving up physical interaction which is something I am not willing to do, but Gather did catch my interest. The main reason why gather caught my eye is because it is described as an outlet for National Public Radio listeners like myself. I also like how the site asks questions that may be debated, a way of almost forcing social interaction online. The key to social networking is the interaction; leave comments... no one knows if his/her work/ideas/posts/blogs is being looked at if no one leaves comments. I really liked playing around on Gather, and will probably end up completely swapping my Myspace account for a Gather account.

No comments:

Post a Comment